Today was one of those days that confirms my decision to home school my children. We started at nine with math online. Then history, then a bit of letter sounds with my preschool daughter. Then we went to town to run errands and get dinner. When I got in the parking lot I saw a bloodmobile. I thought, I have never gave blood before but this should be a good lesson for the kids, in compassion, and an example of a job in the medical field. So I asked if the kids could be with me the whole time and they said yes, so I signed up. They interviewed me and determined that I was worthy to drop off my bodily fluids with them. The kids each got a lemon aid slush and complements on being well behaved. I conveniently forgot my childish fear of needles until she pulled one out, but knowing that I would be a horrible example if I ran out of the screaming so I concentrated on the face of my daughter snuggled up on the chair next to me and hardly felt a thing. It was over in half an hour and a least one of my kids have said they want to be a doctor or a nurse when they are grown so all in all worth every drop of blood and pretending that I am tougher than I am. In the evening we went for a swim in the lake as the sun set. I waded with my children around me as the sun set and the bats fluttered around our heads as we stared in wonder at the quarter moon and night birds. We finished the day with another math lesson on the computer and reading the library books we checked out. All in all a great day. I really have no dramatic stories for why I dont' send my kids to public school. In fact I love LOVE the public school in my small home town. I have spent many hours volunteering there last year. And honestly it hurts my heart a bit to give it all up. But I want to give myself to my kids each day, I want to be their teacher. I recently read that Mary was Jesus' first teacher. I take my role seriously and if I fail I count on all the other people in my kids life who don't really support this choice of ours to let me know. Meanwhile I am enjoying every drop of my kids childhood. I really goes too fast that is something everyone has told me a hundred times and it is true. So this is what this blog is about. I will Journal our home school days honestly and if any of you people who also love my kids think I am failing in any way feel free to let me know. I want to do this right... this parenting thing, because I only get this one chance. Ya know?
No comments:
Post a Comment