Sunday, September 11, 2011

Some thoughts...

So far I am not LOVING the virtual school. My reasons include the fact that the boys both no longer look forward to their lessons. My goals are 1) Teach them to THIRST for knowledge. I want them to become life long learners because they love it. and 2) Teach them the skills they will need to do well in college.

So far in the online school their work has become a list of things to do, and they don't have time to delve deeply into things even if they are interested in the lesson, there are so many menial tasks to do each day that it does not seem productive to creative thinking. And despite the menial work I don't see how it will be retained or helpful in college because I am still in college and my classes are nothing like that.

So I am back to square one, will likely be taking the oldest two out soon and return to our original plan of homeschooling. Katie, in kindergarten, loves, LOVES, Loves, the virtual program, she gets to dance to music and play with puppets, I  read to her from the many books they sent, she colors, paints, and has a ball. They nailed kindergarten and it is working out well so I will keep her enrolled not matter what happens with the boys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment